Falls and a fear of falling can diminish your ability to lead a full and independent life.
Although 1 in every 4 older adults falls each year, falling is not a part of normal aging. You have the power to reduce your risk of falls.
A physical therapist can help you do so by:
- Assessing your risk for falling
- Designing an individualized plan for your fall-prevention needs
- Helping you make your home as safe as possible
- Educating you about the medical risk factors associated with falls
- Providing you with appropriate exercises and balance training
- Working with other health care professionals to address any underlying medical conditions that could increase your fall risk
- Providing you with recommendations on appropriate community programs
- Implementing low vision strategies within daily routines
- Performing a home safety assessment with personalized recommendations
- Recommending adaptive equipment and home modifications to help you participate in activities of daily living safely in your home
The therapists at ElderFit In Home Rehab are specialists in Fall Prevention care and would be happy to answer any questions you have!! For more information on Fall Prevention and Physical Therapy, please visit the Consumer website of the American Physical Therapy Associaton: www.moveforwardpt.com
We use a program called Otago, which consists of a variety of exercises seniors are taught to do at home to help them remain independent. The program has helped reduce falls by up to 40 percent.
The Otago Exercise Program has trained health care professionals in 18 countries! Otago is a series of 17 strength and balance exercises delivered by a Physical Therapist in the home that reduces falls between 35 and 40% for frail older adults.
This evidence-based program, developed in New Zealand, calls for PT’s to assess, coach and progress patients over the course of six months to one year. Recent research at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine and Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention shows statistically significant improvement in clinical scores after as little as 8 weeks.
All therapists with ElderFit In Home Rehab are certified in providing the exercise program, so give us a call!!